Application will be open soon, stay tuned.
EAACI has held the European Examination in Allergology and Clinical Immunology annually since 2008. Many candidates and members of numerous National Societies have already successfully passed the exam.
The exam is based on revised questions from a question pool prepared by EAACI Task Force members and members from different European centres. These questions are constantly updated and revised. The questions address topics of allergology including allergens, dermatology, respiratory and pediatric allergy, anaphylaxis, venom hypersensitivity, drug and food hypersensitivity. Furthermore, issues such as pregnancy and allergology, occupational allergies, eosinophilic disorders, mastocytosis, and CI-INH deficiency are covered. It also assesses basic immunology and clinical immunology (auto-immunity and immune deficiency). The exam lasts for three hours and has 120 multiple-choice questions, all in English.
The EAACI/UEMS Knowledge Examination in Allergology and Clinical Immunology takes place every year. It does not replace or provide a substitute for existing national examinations held regularly by national bodies, although we expect it to help raise the standard of Allergology and Clinical Immunology in Europe.
What others say
“I took the 4th EAACI /UEMS Knowledge Examination in Allergology/Clinical Immunology during the EAACI Meeting 2011 in Istanbul. I decided to take the exam because I was planning to work abroad for some years after completing my Allergy training in Spain, and I thought that an international certificate could help me achieve this goal. It took me four months to prepare for the exam, but it was totally worth it as I got a holistic overview of the specialty; and even better, the certificate helped me to get a research position in Norway!””Ibon Eguiluz-Gracia, MD, PhD
“I come from Ecuador and I am working as an allergologist in Spain. I took the EAACI exam during my third year of residency at the annual congress in Barcelona. My goal was to test my knowledge in the specialty, since there is no evaluation in Spain or Ecuador. When I looked at the literature I felt overwhelmed, there was a lot to study and things I didn’t know.
However, during the Exam day I enjoyed taking the exams because there was no pressure about passing or failing. A few days later I was very happy to receive the notification that I passed! Now I’m more confident in my training.”Ximena Larco, MD
“Taking the EAACI exam was a very nice experience, and getting the Certificate of Excellence in Allergy was very rewarding. The certificate is an important addition to my CV and has been well-appreciated during job interviews, both from a clinical and a theoretical perspective. Having this ‘mark of excellence’ from EAACI is an important accomplishment CV-wise but, more importantly, it makes me feel confident in my role as an Allergy/Immunology specialist.”George Guibas, MD, PhD
|With approved UEMS support
Regular Fee for EAACI Members
Regular Fee for Non-Members
Reduced Fee* for EAACI Members
Reduced Fee* for Non-Members
* Candidates from countries with GNP of less than USD 10,000 according to the World Bank Report.
In addition, UEMS has agreed to support eligible candidates with a further reduction. Applications can be submitted together with the regular exam application. In order to be eligible for UEMS support, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
The candidate for UEMS support should:
- Be in training to become a medical specialist / or recently have been accredited as specialist (< 5 years)
- Intend to work as an allergist (not necessarily from a country where an official allergy speciality exists)
- Adhere to the core curriculum in their training programme
As the number of requests for UEMS support is increasing, UEMS has to limit the number of applications that will be approved. This year UEMS will be able to support maximally 20 applications. Therefore, UEMS will make a selection predominantly based on the quality of the applications. Provided that the applications have a good quality, UEMS will also take into account whether the applicants are coming from low-income countries.
Registration fees excluding Swiss VAT of 7.7% when applicable.
When you are preparing for your exam we recommend a range of literature:
You can practice with the online self-assessment module. This represents a shorter version of how the exam is structured. Please register for the self-assessment tool, select the EAACI-UEMS Exam and start practicing.
Terms and conditions
Click here to download the full terms and conditions.
The deadline for submission is 23rd August 2023, 24:00 CET. However, please note: Once we have received your application we will send it into the review process. Therefore, if you would like to update your application, please contact us priorly at email@example.com. Be aware that there are a limited number of seats available on the Knowledge Exam, hence an early application is recommended.
- You are kindly requested to provide the following information:
List of medical school(s)
Details of graduation
List of other trainings (e.g. PhD)
List of Postgraduate training(s)
Supervisors and List of References
Application for financial support from UEMS (please refer to the criteria listed under Costs)
- Independent experts will assess all applications received and all applicants will receive a formal notification by email regarding their application, the latest by beginning of September 2023. Please be informed that upon acceptance of your application you will be billed as indicated in the table listed under Costs. Registration will only be finalized once payment has been received.
- The candidates have to specify in their application which exam they are applying for (EAACI Knowledge Exam or Pediatric Exam)
- The questions are carefully formulated and reviewed by an international board of experts in allergology and clinical immunology, together with a specialised, professional institution (Institute of Medical Education or IML, University of Bern, Switzerland).
- A minor part of the exam is designed using so-called Script Concordance Test (SCT) questions.
- The background of required knowledge is based on the currently existing modern textbooks, preferably but not exclusively in English. Furthermore, a list of recent publications related to the possible questions is provided. The exam does not contain a practical section.
- Cancellation of registration: Please be aware that notification of cancellation must be sent in writing to EAACI at firstname.lastname@example.org. No refund will be possible if a written notification of cancellation is received within 30 days of the event date. No-shows on the exam date will be treated as late cancellations where no refund is possible.
- Registration Category: To be eligible for an EAACI Member registration rate, a candidate must have been a member in good standing (i.e., full membership fee payment received, possible proofs submitted, etc.) at the last day of the Examination Application Period (23rd August 2023).
The registration for the examination implies the acceptance that the result of the examination is ultimate and no legal debate of the final decision is possible.
You can practice with the online self-assessment module. This represents a shorter version of how the exam is structured. Please register for the self-assessment tool, select the EAACI-UEMS Exam and start practising.
Knut Brockow Committee Chair
Tomás Chivato VP Education & Specialty
Ileana Ghiordanescu Exam Committee Secretary
Norbert Mülleneisen UEMS Allergology SB Chair
Jean Luc Fauquert UEMS Allergology SB Secretary
Gerdien Tramper WG Infections
Carina Venter WG Immunomodulation & Nutrition
Diana Silva WG Ocular Allergy
Leticia De las Vecillas JM Assembly
Simona Barni Food Allergy IG
Elisa Boni WG Insect Venom Hypersensitivity
Luisa Brussino Allergy Diagnosis & Systems Medicine IG
Carlos Arada WG Genomics and Proteomics
Umit Sahiner Immunotherapy IG
Marina Pérez Gordo Basic & Clinical Immunology Section
Stefania Arasi Pediatric Section
Erika Jensen-Jarolim WG AllergoOncology
Athanasios Damialis WG Aerobiology and Pollution
Hille Suojalehto Environmental and Occupational Allergy
Federica Pulvirenti WG Immunodeficiencies
Joao Rufo WG Epidemiology
María Bova Dermatology section
Sanna Toppila-Salmi ENT Section
Annick Barbaud Drug Allergy IG
Isabella Pali-Schöll WG One Health
For more information about the exam, please contact:
Telephone: +41 44 205 55 33
Date of the Exam
The date of the EAACI Knowledge Exam 2023 is October 16th, 2023.
Scope of the EAACI examination
Following the initiative of UEMS to standardise the training curriculum of allergologists/clinical immunologists in Europe (Allergy 59:579-588, 2004), the EAACI Knowledge Exam aims to further improve the standards of our specialty by providing a European exam in allergology and clinical immunology.
The EAACI Knowledge Exam:
- Helps to harmonise the educational level of allergology and clinical immunology throughout Europe
- Gives an input for the standardisation of the professional examinations for specialisation in allergology and clinical immunology among European national societies
- Helps societies by providing a regular written exam, at a consistent international level
- Identifies those colleagues able to fulfil the standards of knowledge for a continuous professional development
- The EAACI Knowledge Exam is no replacement/equivalent for a local/national exam
Admission to the examination
The EAACI examination is open to EAACI members and non-members.
Click here to become an EAACI member, as you will save substantial costs.
Types of examination
There are two types of examination: The EAACI Knowledge Exam and the EAACI Pediatric Exam.
All exam questions are in English.
EAACI Knowledge Exam
The exam consists of 120 multiple-choice questions in allergology (70%) and basic / clinical immunology (30%).
EAACI Pediatric Exam
This track consists of 120 multiple-choice questions, of which 100 questions are based on allergology and basic / clinical immunology, (70% and 30%, respectively), and 20 are specialised pediatric questions.
Digital Exam Guide
The EAACI/UEMS Knowledge Exam is entirely dedicated to allergology and clinical immunology, and aims to further improve the standards of our specialty. In order to make this exam accessible to a wider audience at the safety of your own home, we decided to use a fully digital set up incorporating the latest proctoring levels to guarantee highest security. This presentation will guide you through the different aspects of an online examination, its peculiarities and unique features.
Read the guide carefully as it is your main source of information.